Exploring the influences on our region's economy.
National Bank of Commerce, together with leading area educational institutions and business front runner's, created and continues to sponsor the Regional Economic Indicators Forum (REIF); a comprehensive research initiative to drive growth, prosperity and collaboration across our region.
Next Forum: Thursday, October 31, 2019 7-9:30 am (Program starts at 8)
7:00 sign in and networking
7:00 - 8:00 REIF region workforce development organizations
8:00 - 9:30 students and keynote speaker presentations
DECC: Harbor Side Ballroom
Keynote Speaker: Ron Painter - President & CEO at National Association of Workforce Boards
Topic: Workforce Ahead - Putting Business and Industry in the Driver's Seat
Cost: Advance registration $25, at the door $30
Ron Painter is the Chief Executive Officer of the National Association of Workforce Boards, assuming his role in July of 2009. Ron was the founding CEO of the Three Rivers Workforce Investment Board in Pittsburgh, where under his leadership the organization focused on producing labor market research, working with public educators on improved student career information, supporting community leaders in the development of regional benchmarks, and establishing the Regional Workforce Collaborative whose membership includes community colleges, WIBs, employers, labor, and economic development professionals. Before joining the Three Rivers Workforce Board, he worked in Washington, DC, first on loan to the U.S. Department of Labor for the Enterprise Project, and then for the National Alliance of Business. Mr. Painter holds an undergraduate degree in Political Science from Grove City College in Pennsylvania and a Master’s in Public Administration and advanced graduate coursework from the University of Pittsburgh’s Graduate School of Public & International Affairs, where he served as Adjunct Faculty.
The goals of the REIF are to:
- Support business owners in their business decisions by gathering key local economic indicators and trend information
- Develop specific economic indicators for this region that are not readily available to decision makers
- Develop tools to assess our progress in economic growth, prepare baseline measures that will allow comparison with other regions and measure future progress of the region
- Track the region’s participation in the “new economy” and development in the high-tech arena
- Collect and monitor data related to county-level economic performance, business and consumer confidence and regional stock performance
- Bring professionals together with business owners for discussion about the local economy and related critical issues in a collaborative, non-political environment
- Create a business recruitment and retention tool by publishing the information
The REIF Region is a 15-county area that covers Northeast Minnesota and Northwest Wisconsin. The eight counties of Minnesota include the Arrowhead Region — Aitkin, Carlton, Cook, Itasca, Koochiching, Lake and St. Louis counties — along with Pine County. The seven counties of Wisconsin include Ashland, Bayfield, Burnett, Douglas, Iron, Sawyer and Washburn.
The REIF is governed by a steering and advisory committee comprised of representative(s) from:
Fall 2018 Student Presenters
- National Bank of Commerce
- College of St. Scholastica
- Small Business Development Center of Minnesota
- Small Business Development Center of Wisconsin
- University of Minnesota, Duluth
- University of Wisconsin, Superior
Spring 2019 Student Presenters
Resources such as APEX (Area Partnership for Economic Expansion), Business North and the Development Association of Superior-Douglas County are utilized as needed.
Meet the Regional Economics Faculty Research Staff.
Prior REIF Presentations and Reports:
To view a video of the Fall '18 forum please visit National Bank of Commerce's YouTube channel.